Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What is Geomatics?


Google Earth, GPS and satellite maps. These are all examples of Geomatics at work. After a month of studying this course, I have yet to find a clear-cut definition of what Geomatics really is. Is it Science? Geography? Surveying? Mapping? Maths? Actually, it is all of the above.

If you really want a definition, according to RMIT’s Mathematical and Geospatial Science brochure:

Geomatics is a spatial information technology program that uses computer based Geographic Information System (GIS) to measure, manage, map and analyse geospatial data.

Get it? No? Me either. That’s just too much to remember and a mouth full to say if I were to explain what Geomatics is to someone over and over and over again.

Fortunately, I stumbled upon this unsourced quote and I think it sums up what Geomatics is pretty well:

Geomatics – It’s Geography on Steroids!

~ got that memorized? ~

No comments: